Tuesday, January 19, 2010

"Betsy, why does our basement smell like rodeo"

"Dang, Betsy! What smells in our laundry room?"

"I don't smell anything."

"Betsy, just smell it. It smells like rodeo."

"Alright, I will come and smell."

"Thank you."

"Oh, you're right. It does smell like rodeo."

"Thank you."

After about two weeks, we have finally figured out what smells like "rodeo" in our basement. If you have unfortunately never been to a rodeo, "rodeo" smells like wet dirt, oatmeal, and a tad-bit-of manure.

Betsy got new running shoes for Christmas and they are giving off a western scent. It is so bizarre, but her shoes smell like Valley City's Winter Show Building during the month of March.

For me, I kinda like it. I love rodeos. Some of my first "dates" with Betsy were to rodeos! What I love the most is the sound of the announcers. If I could somehow still live at Lake Metigoshe, where I can be a camp director and play old-man hockey, AND be a rodeo announcer, I would probably do it.

I wish there was a way to describe the sound by typing words. But the announcer speaks as if he has a piece of leather stuck in his right check and talks a bit faster than normal. You also have to say these phrases SEVERAL times:
"We got ourselves a good young cowboy from Mandan/Rapid City/Watford City/New Town"
"Comin' outta the Piggly Wiggly shoot..."
"Let's get ready to rumble...."
"We got ourselves a good young cowgirl from Mandan...." (Mandan is the mecca of 'good young cowgirls."

I would give anything to hear a rodeo sometime soon.

However, today we got to hear something we have never heard before in our lives!! The healthy heartbeat of a 16 week 2 day old baby! 140 beat per minute! That has been the best thing I have ever heard!

Our clown doctor put his science fiction looking instrument up to Betsy's belly and within seconds we heard, "wush, wush, wush, wush, wush, wush..."

(Insert a giggly cry by sweet, glowing Betsy and weepy Kyle.)

Every doctor's appointment we go to we enter with some worries and anxiety. In the past few years we have entered doctors' offices with hopes and left in tears. SO, it's been a bit of an adjustment to go to appointments confidently with high hopes.

So, that is also the reason I haven't written so much lately. I'm a little bit of a worrier, so haven't always been brave enough to give updates.

But today, I can give you some updates. We had a great appointment and will be excited for the next one in a month. We have decided not to find out if it is a girl or a boy. There has been so much science and timing in the process that we are looking forward to a surprise.

Betsy has a good lookin' belly. At community theater practice tonight I looked over at Betsy and she was sporting bigger boobs and a nice baby belly. That's my Betsy!

I've been looking for a t-shirt for her to wear that says, "Don't Tap the Glass."

I promise, I will try to keep you more up to date.

Looking forward to the Baby Bash in Fargo on March 6!

2 comments:

Maurya said...

Something tells me that the running shoes are not going to get much use in the next months. And I think you would be a GREAT rodeo announcer.

Thanks for the update. I love to read things from your perspective.

Martha said...

I am a little surprised that Betsy doesn't have a super-sensitive smeller while pregnant.